I was browsing nightstands on Sears trying to find something of quality for not a lot of money. There are several that are solid wood starting at about $100. That's not bad for something you should be able to get several years of use out of but I want to pay as little as possible. This can get a little complicated so I am going to give an example of an item which costs $150 and this is what you would do to pay a final price of $45 before any tax.
- Sign up with the cashback portal Be Frugal or Ebates You'll earn a $10 sign on bonus with Be Frugal and a $10 gift card or $5 bonus with Ebates. Read about cashback portals here.
- From the cashback site, search for Sears, click the "Shop Now" button to earn 6% on your purchase.
- On the Sears website you will scroll down about half way to "A Few Reasons To Be Jolly" where you'll see a link to buy a $100 gift card and get a $20 bonus. That is a savings of 16.7% right there. Note: You can earn one $20 bonus per transaction so if you are purchasing more than $100 do it separately. Also, I have read you may only be able to use one $20 bonus at at time so keep that in mind when planning your shopping.
- Purchase the gift card with the best rewards credit card you have available to you. The best card to use would be a recent Discover It card that is doubling all cash back earned for one year. You would need to make sure that card is enroll in the quarterly bonus category which is 5% cashback on department stores, this doubles to 10%. If using any Discover you must purchase an e-gift card or reload to get this cashback. Physical gift cards are processed through Kmart and don't trigger the bonus.
- Once you've purchased the gift card, you want to return to Be Frugal or Ebates. If you do the one you didn't do before you could earn another sign on bonus.
- From the cashback site go to Sears or Kmart. Your gift card can be used at Kmart too just don't purchase it through Kmart.
- Sign into your Shop Your Way account and load coupons. I'm sure most of you have heard about Shop Your Way Rewards and have an account that, like Sears/Kmart/Land's End gift cards, also works at each of those stores but in case you don't you can read this post I wrote 5 years ago when it was new to me!
- I initially started out on Sears applying coupon codes to my cart and I applied all the coupons I thought may work because sometimes they stack. For example, a free shipping coupon, a % off coupon or a $$ off coupon and a points back coupon may all work on the same order. You must load the coupon then click details, copy the promo code and paste it in the Coupon Code field of the cart. Then click "View Applied Coupons" to see if it was applied. As I did this a "20% one home item coupon" did not work. I went back to the coupon details and realized it was for Kmart. I went to Kmart and found the same item selling for the same price. When I applied all the coupons and other discounts I'm expecting, Kmart is the better deal. If you switch stores, be sure to go back through the portal for the different store. You will also earn 2% back in points on your purchase, This will be reduced by any points you have that you apply to your order.
- After you have followed all the steps above, pay with the gift card you purchased.
Here is the breakdown of savings if you were able to take advantage of all the discounts I outlined:
- Buy $120 Sears e-gift card or reload for $100 ($20 free, a 16.7% discount) with your Discover It card ($10 cashback).
- Receive 6% cash back and a $10 bonus from Be Frugal. ($16 cashback)
- Item purchased is $150 in this example. Apply a 20% off coupon ($30 off) and a $10 back in points coupon. Earn an additional 2% in points ($12.40 in points) Shipping is free.
- The order total is $120 if you don't use any existing points. Use the $120 gift card codes.
- Receive 6% from Ebates and a $10 bonus gift card. ($17.20 back)
If I did all my math correctly, I've paid $45 after all the discounts and cashback for a savings of 70%!
This is an extreme example of savings that involves a lot of organization within my brain and/or on paper to get all the discounts but if you follow the steps I outlined it is definitely a possibility to save a huge amount of money! Additionally, you can use the information you learned here and apply it to other stores. Discounted gift cards can be purchased on-line or in grocery stores and drug stores too.