Coupon Database

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Easy Ham & Bean Soup

This Ham & Bean soup is one of my standby recipes for those days when I am too busy and forgot to plan dinner (something I am working on for sure). It is so easy. It involves cutting ham and potatoes but it beats buying gross take out and cost less than $6.50 to make.

Start a medium-large pot of 5-6 cups of water boiling while you cut 4-5 medium potatoes into bite size pieces and add to the pot.

Add
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 chicken bouillon cubes

Cut 1 pound of ham into bite size pieces(turkey ham is cheaper and healthier and doesn't taste much different, to me anyway :-)

Add the ham and 12-16 oz frozen green beans. Return to a boil then reduce to a low simmer for 15-30 being careful not to over cook the potatoes.

1.5 lb potatoes $1.13
1 lb ham $4
12 oz Green Giant Green Bean Steamers Free (on Sale at Boyer's for $1. Used $1 off coupon from 9/7GM)
2 bouillon cubes $.13

If you try it, let me know how you like it. Everyone in my house likes this, thankfully!

No comments: